If you are a professional doctor wanting to migrate to UK then Locum Work can turn out to be the right choice for you. NHS (National Health Services) Hospitals require locum doctors to fulfill their needs at regular intervals.
If you are planning to come to UK as a doctor and not sure what to expect and prepare, the below guide is especially written for you. Doctors from all over the world come to UK for employment and training.
Overseas doctors looking for employment in UK and if are new with term “Locum”, its short Latin phrase ‘locum tenens’ which is a person who temporary fills the duties for another. A locum doctor is a doctor who works in place of regular doctor in his absence or when the hospital staff is short. The professionals will still be governed by respective bodies despite nature of their positions.
In the UK, NHS has over 3,500 locum doctors and 6,000 locum general practitioners working for hospitals on a given day. Majority of the doctors for locum work are supplied by private agencies through a national framework agreement that NHS holds with private agencies. Below link refers to a list of agencies that adhere to the Code of Practice for NHS employers involved in the international recruitment of healthcare professionals.
NHS figures show that approximately 80% of hospital locum positions are filled by agencies providing locum work for doctors. The other 20% positions are filled by agencies which do not hold national framework agreement with NHS. To work in this competitive market doctors often refer to agencies providing locum work. These agencies adhering to NHS code of practice can be referred as national recruitment agency supplying temporary and permanent medical locum doctors to Hospitals throughout all areas of UK. Locum agencies offer hospitals a platform to fill temporary positions in the event of sickness, leave or other reasons for which long term funding is not available. It also allows a professional doctor to get experience in broad environment or specialized field where a permanent employee may not come across to.
Registration with GMC
The General Medical Council GMC is the regulator for medical profession in UK. Doctors who wish to work in UK must be registered with GMC. They have the power to revoke the license, or place restrictions, in cases of questions about a doctor's fitness to practice. GMC aims to protect, promote and maintain health & safety of the community by ensuring standards in practice of medicine. They coordinate with other nations medical and university regulatory bodies over medical schools overseas, leading to some qualifications being mutually recognized. The council is funded by annual fees required from those wishing to remain registered and their examination fees.
What would a doctor need at hand in order to get started with Locum Work?
In order to discover locum work, it is essential to look for right locum recruitment agency. The agency should be able to find perfect work for you as per your needs. In some cases they may also guide you through visa, work permit and other documentations.